Over the past two weeks, Illinois has experienced some of the most severe weather we have seen in years. With tornados, high winds, and heavy hail, this weather has left destruction in its path. Thankfully, our local community has not experienced any loss of life. However, these storms are a reminder that we should always be prepared.
Here are some tips so that you and your family can be prepared in case we experience another set of heavy storms:
In a storm, remember these three things:
- GET IN – If possible, get indoors as quickly as possible.
- GET DOWN – Try to get as low to the ground as you can. If your location does not contain a basement, make your way to the lowest floor of the building.
- COVER UP – Flying debris is actually the number one danger in a storm. Use anything you can to cover yourself, and get as far away from windows as possible.
Having an emergency bag is a great way to ensure you and your family are ready for any emergency situation. Here are a few items you could include:
- Battery-powered radio, flashlights, and extra batteries.
- First aid kit.
- Signal flare or whistle.
- Bottled water and canned goods (approximately three days’ worth for each member of your family).
- Utility knife.
- Blankets, sleeping bags, or thermal blankets (one for each member of your family).
- Local maps and compass.
- Individual emergency prescription medications, such as epinephrine injections or inhalers.